Where In The World - Russia

Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrate Christmas! Merry Day to everyone who does not! Today's mani is not about Christmas for a change. You will get more of those anyway, but since I don't celebrate Christmas, and in fact I don't even have a day off work today, I figured I don't have to post Christmas polishes only on Christmas day! So you will get to see Christmas polishes later on. Today I (finally) have my Russia manicure in the Where In The World challenge! 
I think this mani is now holding the title of the longest time-taking mani I have ever done. And not only did it take me forever to finish, I did this one twice, each time it took pretty much the same amount of time...
When Gosia and myself decided on the list of countries for this challenge, I knew this is what I want to do for Russia. The Matryoshka. A couple of months ago I visited Moscow and St. Petersburg and heard a little story about the origins of the Matryoshka. In Israel we usually call those little dolls - Babushka. But it very wrong! A babushka is a grandmother. The Matryoshka is a young lady. Russian soldiers used a Matryoshka doll as a small sort of box to keep their private little things when they went to war. The painting of the doll-box was suppose to remind them of their wives back home. 

Well anyway, I tried this mani but I was not very happy with the result. The following are pictures from my first version. Something in it looked... I don't know, wrong.


So I had to try it again. I was happier with the second version, although I have to admit there's still something wrong in it, but I just don't know what it is. Maybe I will have some time to try it again soon and I'll be able to figure it out... Maybe.


I used plenty of polish to do this design. Here's a quick list for you: Chic - fresh grass, Illamasqua - Whack, Illamasqua - Ruthless, Sally Hansen - Mellow Yellow, Tip Top - In The Navy, Sinful Colors - Savage, Picture Polish - Wisteria, Nails Inc - Blueberry, Nails Inc - Atomic, Nails Inc - Westminster, China Glaze - Dance Baby, China Glaze - Liquid Leather, Bourjois - Vert Chlorophylle, Bourjois - Jaune Trendy, Milani - White on the Spot. Basically, except for the first polish (which is the light yellowish green) that needed like two billion coats to get opaque, all the others are one or two coaters. So I figured it was a good reference for any future nail art ideas ;-)


13 comments :

Unknown said...

Those are adorable! I think you did such a good job portraying the dolls.

cynthia decker said...

You are too hard on yourself! The amount of detail you applied is fabulous! Thank you for yor effort, it is absolutely amazing!

Laurie said...

OMG this is SO adorable!!! I love it!!!! Fab job!

Caroline (Comme un rêve...) said...

wow! such a great job! love it !!!

Unknown said...

Wow, Jin Jit! This is simply amazing!

Marias Nail Art said...

I prefer the second take too - well done!

M. Fourey said...

Wow the first try was very good considering the difficulty of freehanding a Matryoshka! The second one is better, but I like both a lot! You did a great job here! So how many time did you spend on it?
Do you know there's a stamping plate with Matryoshkas? I can't remember the brand now but if you wish I could search around my brains... :p

Unknown said...

Oh... forgot to mention that in the post... took me 2 hours to complete both hands :-S
took me less then 5 minutes to take it off... LOL
And yes, I know the plate :-D I actually got it ;-) It is by Nailz Craze
Thank you!!!!!!

Paulina said...

Really Nice idea :)

Unknown said...

Looks adorable, Jin! I've always loved Ioved those dolls. Thanks for the information on them... I never heard that story before!

Yun, The Polish Hideout said...

Your second attempt is fantastic, actually! I think you did a great job with the dolls. :-)

~ Yun

Gosia said...

Damn, that took a lot of time!! I love, love both of them!!! And I actually know what's wrong with your first design (in my opinion): they're not girls, they're dudes!!! Your second version is just PERFECT!!

Unknown said...

Both attempts are fantastic. I admire your patience! Congrats! :-*

Post a Comment

I love comments and I appreciate each one of yours!
I would love to hear from you but please, refrain from posting links. If you have a link that you want me to see - just email me :)
Thank you so much!